If you or a loved one have been in injured in an accident that is no fault of your own you may be entitled to compensation. When evaluating a personal injury situation one of the first things you should do is have an initial consultation with a personal injury attorney in which you should get to know the attorney, their track record and their thoughts of your case.
The aftermath of a serious injury can be a very difficult, confusing time and it is very important you get to know exactly who it is your dealing with in order to achieve the best possible results for all parties involved.
One of the most important things you can do is determine whether or not there is a good client-attorney fit. The attorney-client relationship is an important factor, you need to have the comfort that you have a strong advocate on your side. Because of this, it is very important that both the client and attorney be on the same page.
Whether it be by e-mail, over the phone or in person (we recommend getting to know your attorney in person), following are some questions you should ask before hiring an attorney for your personal injury case:
Questions Related To Your Attorney's Education, Associations and Track Record
- What areas of practice do you specialize in?
- What awards and special accreditations have you received?
- What Local, State, National trial lawyers associations do you belong to?
- What percentage of your practice is dedicated to personal injury cases?
- How long have you been representing personal injury victims?
- What is your track record when working with personal injury victims?
- What expertise / experience do you have that may help with my specific case?
Questions Related To Your Personal Injury Attorney
- Are you in good standing with the state bar?
- Will you be working with a team? Will other lawyers be working on my case?
- Do you have any personal views or agendas that may affect the outcome of my case?
- How often will we be communicating and how?
- What jurisdictions are you permitted to appear in court in?
Questions Related To Your Personal Injury Case
- Have you handled a personal injury case like mine?
- What are my options? What are the alternatives to litigation?
- How strong is the opposing side's case?
- How long might the case take to settle?
- What are some of the keys to success in my case?
- What problems do you see that can affect the outcome of my case?
- How will you be compensated? On an hourly basis or a contingency fee?
This is not an exhaustive list but if you ask the aforementioned questions, you will get a good feel for whether or not there is a good client-attorney fit.
Talk To One of Our Experienced Personal Injury Lawyers Today
If you have been in an accident that is no fault of your own you may be entitled to compensation. The Vititoe Law Group can help determine the best course of action moving forward. We help our personal injury clients pursue various forms of compensation including compensation for medical bills, pain and suffering, lost wages and punitive damages.
Schedule your free consultation today by contacting us at (818) 991-8900 or fill out our contact form. We are happy to discuss your case with you and see how we can help.