James W. Vititoe
Email: Email Me
Jim was born in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma on March 14, 1947. His father was in the military and his family moved to Germany when Jim was 5. In 1956, his family relocated back to the United States and lived in Georgia. In 1965, Jim graduated from Northside High School in Warner Robins, Georgia, where he was President of the Student Body, Honorary Mayor of the Town and selected as Most Versatile Student.
Jim attended the College of William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia and graduated with a degree in psychology in 1971. He moved to Hawaii to work for United Airlines and to enjoy his passion for worldwide travel. He also managed to attend the University of Hawaii for a few extra enrichment classes.
In 1973, Jim moved to Los Angeles to attend Southwestern University School of Law. He was on the Dean’s List, President of the Student Bar Association, and was the recipient of the prestigious Frederick Graff Award for most outstanding student. Jim married Karen Dutcher in 1984 and they have two children, Justin and Travis and two grandchildren.
After graduation from Law School, Jim became an associate in the Law Offices of Edward L. Masry. Jim worked for several years as an associate attorney and in 1982, Jim became a partner. The Law Offices of Edward L. Masry was renamed The Law Offices of Masry & Vititoe. Masry & Vititoe was the firm that employed Erin Brockovich and was portrayed in the film Erin Brockovich. After Ed Masry passed away, Jim formed Vititoe Law Group to continue his work as a dedicated advocate for injured parties.
Over the past 30 plus years, Jim has specialized in civil tort litigation. He has handled thousands of wrongful death cases, work-related injuries, and personal injuries. Typical cases have included auto collisions, product liability, premises liability, medical malpractice, and environmental exposure. Recently, his focus and specialty has been brain injury cases including severe and mild traumatic brain injuries [MTBI].
Jim has received much recognition over his career. He has received the U.S. Congressional Award for Trial Lawyer of the Year in 1990, 1991 and 1992. Consumer Attorneys of California awarded him Trench Soldier of the Year in 1996; Presidential Recognition for Exceptional Contribution in 1996; Outstanding Consumer Advocate in 1997; President’s Award of Merit in 2000; and the Trial Lawyers for Public Justice (TLPJ) awarded Jim the President’s Award in July 2001.
Jim was appointed to the Board of Governors for the Consumer Attorney Association of Los Angeles in 1998; the Board of Governors for the American Trial Lawyers Association in 2001; the Trial Lawyers for Public Justice in 2001; and the Consumers Attorneys of California in 2001. Jim continues to sit on the Board of Governors for all these organizations.
Jim is currently a member of the American Trial Lawyers Association, American Bar Association, Trial Lawyers for Public Justice, Consumer Attorneys of California, Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles, and the Los Angeles County Bar Association.
Areas of Practice
- Serious and Catastrophic Injury Cases
- Wrongful Death Cases
- Auto Collisions
- Bus Accidents
- Aviation Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Work-Related Injuries
- Life Altering Personal Injuries
- Brain Injury Cases / Cogitative Injuries
- Mild Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Product Liability
- Premises Liability
- Environmental Exposure
- 80% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Iowa, 1976
- California, 1977
- Southwestern University School of Law, Los Angeles, California
- J.D. – 1976
- Honors: Dean’s List
- Honors: prestigious Frederick Graff Award for most outstanding student
- Honors: President, Student Bar Association
- The College of William and Mary, Marshall-Wythe School of Law, Williamsburg, Virginia – 1971
- College of William & Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia – 1971
- Major: Psychology
Honors and Awards
- U.S. Congressional Award for Trial Lawyer of the Year, 1990 – 1992
- Top 100 California Trial Attorneys For The National Trial Lawyers, 2012-2013
- Consumer Attorneys of California Awarded, Trench Soldier of the Year, 1996
- Presidential Recognition for Exceptional Contribution, 1996
- Outstanding Consumer Advocate, 1997
- President’s Award of Merit, 2000
- Trial Lawyers for Public Justice, President’s Award, 2001
- Los Angeles Magazine, Super Lawyer in Southern California, Personal Injury, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Trial Lawyers, Executive Board, 1998
- Current President of the Environmental Section of the National Trial Lawyers
- Current Vice President of the National Brain Injury Trial Lawyers Association
- CAALA / Consumer Attorney Association, Los Angeles, Board of Governors, 2001
- AAJ: American Association of Justice, Board of Governors
- CAOC: Consumers Attorneys of California, Board of Governors
- American Bar Association
- Trial Lawyers for Public Justice
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Masry & Vititoe, Senior Partner, 1982
Pro Bono Activities
- President, Student Body, Honorary Mayor of the Town
Advocacy For All
At Vititoe Law Group, our attorneys have been up against some of the largest insurance companies and corporations in the country, fighting on behalf of victims of negligence. We firmly believe that everyone deserves quality advocacy and excellent legal representation. To ensure that our clients receive this, we frequently partner with other law firms to customize a team to our clients’ needs and situation.
James W. Vititoe has more than 30 years of experience in handling personal injury and environmental law issues. We are one of the most successful and prestigious law firms in California, due to Jim Vititoe having been made famous in the movie Erin Brockovich for his work on the case against Pacific Gas and Electric, along with Erin Brockovich, and successfully resolved in 1996. That is the kind of dedication we have to all of our clients. We’ll dedicate ourselves to your cause too.
Call us at 818-991-8900 or contact us online to set up a time to talk with our lawyers about your injuries. If you are unable to come to our Westlake Village office because of your injuries, we will come to you, if you are in California. Elsewhere in the country we can work with you by phone, fax, email and other methods of communication. You don’t pay a fee unless we obtain compensation for you.