James W. Vititoe
Westlake Village Personal Injury Attorney
Award winning Westlake Village personal injury attorney, Jim Vititoe, is one of the most respected attorneys in the United States. Over the past 30 years Jim and his team of lawyers have been involved in cases resulting in settlements of over $1 Billion dollars.
Jim has a long track record as a consumer advocate and has been involved in numerous landmark legal cases. Additionally, he was a key part of the water contamination case in Hinkley, California made famous by the Academy award winning film, Erin Brockovich.
Westlake Village personal injury attorneys at Vititoe Law Group, continue to work with Erin Brockovich as she advocates on behalf of people all over the country who have been negatively affected by the negligence of others. Jim Vititoe and his group of personal injury attorneys are passionate about helping victims in California as well the United States as a whole.
Areas of Practice
- Serious and Catastrophic Injury Cases
- Wrongful Death Cases
- Auto Collisions
- Bus Accidents
- Aviation Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Work-Related Injuries
- Life Altering Personal Injuries
- Brain Injury Cases / Cogitative Injuries
- Mild Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Product Liability
- Premises Liability
- Environmental Exposure
Honors and Awards
- U.S. Congressional Award for Trial Lawyer of the Year, 1990 – 1992
- Top 100 California Trial Attorneys For The National Trial Lawyers, 2012-2013
- Consumer Attorneys of California Awarded, Trench Soldier of the Year, 1996
- Presidential Recognition for Exceptional Contribution, 1996
- Outstanding Consumer Advocate, 1997
- President’s Award of Merit, 2000
- Trial Lawyers for Public Justice, President’s Award, 2001
- Los Angeles Magazine, Super Lawyer in Southern California, Personal Injury, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Trial Lawyers, Executive Board, 1998
- Current President of the Environmental Section of the National Trial Lawyers
- Current Vice President of the National Brain Injury Trial Lawyers Association
- CAALA / Consumer Attorney Association, Los Angeles, Board of Governors, 2001
- AAJ: American Association of Justice, Board of Governors
- CAOC: Consumers Attorneys of California, Board of Governors
- American Bar Association
- Trial Lawyers for Public Justice
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
James W. Vititoe – Westlake Village Personal Injury Attorney – Biography
Jim was born in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma on March 14, 1947. His father was in the military and his family moved to Germany when Jim was 5. In 1956, his family relocated back to the United States and lived in Georgia. In 1965, Jim graduated from Northside High School in Warner Robins, Georgia, where he was President of the Student Body, Honorary Mayor of the Town and selected as Most Versatile Student.
College and Law School
Jim attended the College of William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia and graduated with a degree in psychology in 1971. He moved to Hawaii to work for United Airlines and to enjoy his passion for worldwide travel. He also managed to attend the University of Hawaii for a few extra enrichment classes. In 1973, Jim moved to Los Angeles to attend Southwestern University School of Law. He was on the Dean’s List, President of the Student Bar Association, and was the recipient of the prestigious Frederick Graff Award for most outstanding student.
Jim married Karen Dutcher in 1984 and they have two children, Justin and Travis and two grandchildren.
After graduation from Law School, Jim became an associate in the Law Offices of Edward L. Masry. Jim worked for several years as an associate attorney and in 1982, Jim became a partner.
The Law Offices of Edward L. Masry was renamed The Law Offices of Masry & Vititoe. Masry & Vititoe was the law firm that employed Erin Brockovich and was portrayed in the film Erin Brockovich.
After Ed Masry passed away, Jim formed Vititoe Law Group to continue his work as a dedicated legal advocate for injured parties. Over the past 30 plus years, Jim has specialized in civil tort litigation. He has handled thousands of wrongful death cases, work-related injuries, and personal injuries. Typical cases have included car accidents, product liability, premises liability, medical malpractice, and environmental exposure. Recently, his focus and specialty has been brain injury cases including severe and mild traumatic brain injuries [MTBI].
Jim has received significant recognition throughout his legal career.
U.S Congressional Award for Trial Lawyer of the Year
1990, 1991 and 1992.
Consumer Attorneys of California Awarded Vititoe the Trench Soldier of the Year
Presidential Recognition for Exceptional Contribution
Outstanding Consumer Advocate
President’s Award of Merit
Trial Lawyers for Public Justice (TLPJ) Presidents Award
Appointed to the Board of Governors for the Consumer Attorney Association of Los Angeles
Appointed to the Board of Governors for the American Trial Lawyers Association, The Board of Trial Lawyers for Public Justice, and The Board of Consumers Attorneys of California
Jim continues to sit on the Board of Governors for all these organizations. Jim is currently a member of the American Trial Lawyers Association, American Bar Association, Trial Lawyers for Public Justice, Consumer Attorneys of California, Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles, and the Los Angeles County Bar Association
- 80% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Iowa, 1976
- California, 1977
- Southwestern University School of Law, Los Angeles, California
- J.D. – 1976
- Honors: Dean’s List, Prestigious Frederick Graff Award for most outstanding student, and President, Student Bar Association
- The College of William and Mary, Marshall-Wythe School of Law, Williamsburg, Virginia – 1971
- College of William & Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia – 1971
- Major: Psychology
Past Employment Positions
- Masry & Vititoe, Senior Partner, 1982
Pro Bono Activities
- President, Student Body, Honorary Mayor of the Town